Sunday, April 13, 2014

Oculus (2013)

9 of 10

Personal Bias Alert:  dislikes traditional horror, didn’t watch “Doctor Who”, loved Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck

            Coming off a strong showing at last year’s Toronto International Film Festival, “Oculus” had built some buzz as an intelligent horror film.  I like a scary story, but I’m so turned off by the traditional conceits of the horror genre (you know, where characters do incredibly dumb things) that I rarely watch them without reassurances that I won’t roll my eyes throughout.  Even then, I’m often led astray.  Last year’s “You’re Next” and “The Conjuring” disappointed, so I entered “Oculus” with a fair amount of trepidation.  After a slow start, the film nailed the ending and reminded me why I keep giving this genre so many chances.

            The story revolves around siblings Tim (Brenton Thwaites) and Kaylie (Karen Gillan), whose family has been destroyed by a haunted mirror.  When they were children, the mirror killed their parents and got Tim framed for his father’s murder.   Now in their twenties, Tim is released from the mental institution that was treating what they consider his haunted mirror delusion.  When Kaylie picks him up, she reveals that she’s ready to carry out their childhood promise:  to prove the mirror’s haunted and destroy it.

            We know the nuts and bolts of the kid’s story from the beginning, but instead of giving us the full-on kill scene at the start, the movie weaves the tale of the family’s destruction into the present day story.  It’s an effective method, giving us time to get invested in the siblings and making the payoff of both stories that much better.  There’s a narrative reason for this that I won’t reveal, simply because I had way too much fun with that aspect of the story.  Suffice it to say, it’s the twist that makes the character’s actions reasonable enough to go along with. Plus, it gives us a two-for-one climax.

            The obvious danger of this split storyline is the reliance on the dreaded child actors.  One kid hamming it up would ruin the entire thing, but Annalise Basso (young Kaylie) and Garrett Ryan (young Tim) are competent actors on par with their adult counterparts.  I say competent not because of any fault in their performances, but because not much is expected of them.  Deliver a few portentous lines, then run around screaming and clinging to each other, and you’re good.  The same can be said for the adult actors, who seem cast more for their physical demeanor than anything else.  While I’m predisposed to like Katee Sackhoff, I do think she’s well cast here as the children’s mother; she’s a believable housewife, but has a presence large enough to be menacing.

            One of the joys of the horror genre is the unabashed production style.  The lighting, set design, and music get a free pass to be over the top fun, and all are played up here.  There’s lots of well used visual flair, my favorite being the motif of the female character’s red hair.  Sackhoff, Gillan, and Basso all sport the fiery locks, and watching it swish around is like a promise of the blood you know is coming.

            The film’s structure makes the beginning feel long and not particularly scary, which may turn off some horror fans.  Stick with it, because once it unravels things get truly freaky.  It goes for psychological horror over gore, which I always find far more effective.  Watching characters hide in a closet from an axe man or ghost is scary, but “Oculus” understands that there could be far worse things behind that door.

            Other Notes:
Ø  Director/cowriter Mike Flanagan previously made a short film that seems pretty similar to this one.  I’m assuming the two stories are related in some way, but I can’t find anything to confirm it.
Ø  I was so freaked out that my hand literally went to my face at one point.  I rarely have physical reactions to films.
Ø  I like that the actors weren’t very well known.  Sackhoff and Gillan are recognizable to “Battlestar Galactica” and “Doctor Who” fans, but many people won’t even know them.
Ø  I had to look up what the hell oculus means.  The title makes sense now that I know the definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment