Saturday, September 6, 2014

No New Release Review

Sorry everyone, but due to my traveling I couldn't get to a screening of any of the new releases this week.  Not that there were any to make note of, but I still apologize.  Regularly scheduled reviews will resume on Wednesday.

If you didn't know, I'm at TIFF, with tickets to 17 movies and the Mavericks conversation with Juliette Binoche.  You can follow me on twitter for mini reviews of all the films I see.  Here's what I've seen so far:

Eden:  From director Mia Hansen-Løve comes the story of a French DJ at the forefront of the electronic dance movement of the 1990s.  It’s based on her brother’s life, who was involved in the making of the film.  The music is excellent, and Mia masterfully uses the strobing lights of the era’s parties to great effect.  But the story wanders without much purpose, leaving it all feeling rather empty.
4.5 of 10

Mavericks Conversation with Juliette Binoche:  If you like watching Inside the Actor’s Studio then you’ll enjoy the Mavericks series at TIFF.  With clips interspersed, Binoche discussed her career and her views on acting and the death penalty (she’s against it).  She seemed relaxed and open, and it was a privilege to hear this legendary actress speak so candidly.  My favorite comment was when she was asked if it was different to be directed by a woman versus a man.  Her response was simple:  No.

No comments:

Post a Comment