Friday, January 16, 2015

Oscar Nominations 2015

Here’s my feelings on the major 2015 Oscar nominations as a movie lover and an awards season monitor.

Picture

The nominees:  American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash

I’ve not seen:  The Grand Budapest Hotel

My thoughts:  The awards season entries have been relatively poor this year, opening the door for unexpected films to slide their way to the front.  Oscar baits The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything were shoe-ins since their release, even though they aren’t smooth enough to pull off a win.  Selma and American Sniper opted for the serious docudrama route.  The former is a bit too ostentatious for its own good, while the latter has some poorly handled story elements at its fringes.  Still, these are the survivors, and they’re strong films for what they are (except for the mawkish Theory of Everything).  Whiplash, the holdover from Sundance, was a surprise entry that many people loved, but I was less enamored by it.  Still, it’s one of the few nominations that are making people feel warm and fuzzy, and I’m happy about that.  Then there’s the inevitable runners-up:  Birdman and The Grand Budapest Hotel.  Both are far too quirky to actually win, even though Birdman handled the most difficult material and did it splendidly.  Nope, we all know that Boyhood will win.  It’s a fine movie with a deceptively simple story, bolstered by an interesting production schedule and the opportunity to award director Richard Linklater, who’s been making films untraditionally for years.

Who I wish was nominated:  Nightcrawler, Mommy, Fury (just check out my top ten films of the year)



Lead Actor

The nominees:  Steve Carell for Foxcatcher, Bradley Cooper for American Sniper, Benedict Cumberbatch for The Imitation Game, Michael Keaton for Birdman, Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything

I’ve not seen:  NA

My thoughts:  It was a crowded field, and although many are upset at David Oyelowo getting left out, this is still a strong group.  Cooper, Cumberbatch, and Redmayne played familiar types, but each knocked it out of the park.  Carell probably pushed himself the furthest, and although his cadence of speech and Foxcatcher’s icy tone turned some people off, including myself, it’s still a great performance.  Keaton will be the deserving winner here, dominating the acting block of the Academy and beating down his younger rival, Redmayne, with the old ‘he’ll have many more chances’ argument.

Who I wish was nominated:  Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler, Andy Serkis for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Brad Pitt for Fury, James McAvoy for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, and Ben Affleck for Gone Girl (yep, I’d change every nominee if I could)



Lead Actress

The nominees:  Marion Cotillard for Two Days, One Night; Felicity Jones for The Theory of Everything; Julianne Moore for Still Alice; Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl; Reese Witherspoon for Wild

I’ve not seen:  Julianne Moore in Still Alice

My thoughts:  This is a rough category to fill, because there weren’t many great female roles in American cinema in 2014.  Theoretically, the Academy can nominate outside of its home country and Britain, but realistically, they only leave one slot open for that.  Cotillard, who’s familiar to the Academy after her win in 2008, slid into that spot this year for the Dardenne’s Two Days, One Night.  I added this film to my TIFF lineup at the last minute, and although I wasn’t in the mood for its realistic portrait of depression, Cotillard is good per usual.  Witherspoon turned in another performance I thought was good in Wild, but it wasn’t particularly exciting.  The other two I’ve seen, Jones and Pike, both tried admirably in what I found to be flawed roles.  Jones simply doesn’t have much to do and Pike’s Amy didn’t feel like a real character to me in either the movie or the book.  I can’t say I blame either of them for my lackluster reaction to their performances, but that doesn’t mean I think they deserve to be nominated.

Who I wish was nominated:  Anne Dorval for Mommy, Hera Hilmar for Life in a Fishbowl, Jennifer Anniston for Cake, and perhaps we should get fun and nominate Emily Blunt for Edge of Tomorrow



Supporting Actor

The nominees:  Robert Duvall for The Judge, Ethan Hawke for Boyhood, Edward Norton for Birdman, Mark Ruffalo for Foxcatcher, J.K. Simmons for Whiplash

I’ve not seen:  Robert Duvall in The Judge, and I have no plans to

My thoughts:  I wish Norton would win.  He was so great in Birdman, bringing just the right amount of chaos into that film’s world.  Alas, he won’t, because Simmons has this wrapped up.  One of the reasons I wasn’t big on Whiplash was that the characters felt one-note to me, and Simmons is just playing nasty.  He’s done this sort of thing many times, and as much as I like Simmons, I wish he was winning for a better role.  Ruffalo and Hawke aren’t actors I’ve particularly cared for in the past, but both showed their best sides in these films.  Ruffalo in particular was great in Foxcatcher, playing a guy who’s intelligent but out of his depth.

Who I wish was nominated:  Toby Kebbell for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Ben Schnetzer for Pride, Robert Pattinson for The Rover



Supporting Actress

The nominees:  Patricia Arquette for Boyhood, Laura Dern for Wild, Keira Knightley for The Imitation Game, Emma Stone for Birdman, and Meryl Streep for Into the Woods

I’ve not seen:  NA

My thoughts:  If you thought the actress field was weak this year, prepare to be wowed by the supporting actresses.  Arquette, the shoe-in winner, is actually the female lead in Boyhood, but she moved down here to secure a win.  I’m just so turned off by her acting that I can’t understand what people see in it, but I’m clearly the minority here.  Everyone else in this category is just blasé.  Dern is stuck in a basic role, Stone only got two real scenes, and Knightley had far more to do in Laggies.  And Streep, well, she’s getting nominated because she’s Meryl Streep.

Who I wish was nominated:  Suzanne Clément for Mommy, Agata Kulesza for Ida

No comments:

Post a Comment