Sunday, June 1, 2014

Maleficent (2014)


Maleficent poster.jpg

Released:  May 30th, 2014
Rated:  PG
Studio:  Disney
Starring:  Angelina Jolie, Sharlto Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, Lesley Manville
Directed by:  Robert Stromberg         
Written by:  Linda Woolverton

Personal Bias Alert:  not a fan of princess stories, was impressed by the trailer

4 of 10




            There seems to be this cultural myth that all little girls love princesses.  I was never that enamored with them, and I don’t recall any of friends loving them either.  Of course, I liked Disney movies, but I grew up in the ‘90s when our princesses got to be a little more proactive.  The old school ones, the traditional damsels in distress, were never a part of my childhood.  I was aware of them, vaguely knew the stories, and always chose “Beauty and the Beast” over “Snow White.”  The recent trend of retelling these classic tales, from 2012’s “Snow White and the Huntsman” (which I didn’t like) to television’s “Once Upon a Time” (my personal guilty pleasure), has made me realize that I don’t actually know these stories.  They’re all mixed up in my head, bleeding together into a jumble of Evil Queens and sleeping spells.  Before watching “Once Upon a Time,” I thought the Evil Queen was a general term applied to all the evil ladies that attached Disney’s classic princesses.  I didn’t know it was just the one from “Snow White.”

            More pertinent to this movie, I didn’t even remember the name Maleficent.  In fact, I don’t recall ever sitting down and watching “Sleeping Beauty.”  I assume I saw it at some point in my childhood, girls just tend to be shown these things, but it made no impression on me whatsoever. So I was immune to any nostalgic charm this movie might have, which I’m hoping makes it better for all of you who do, because for me, this movie laid there like a slug.

            Apparently, Maleficent is the fairy who put the sleeping curse on Sleeping Beauty aka Aurora.  Side note, what’s up with everyone calling her Aurora all the sudden?  When I was kid, we just called her Sleeping Beauty.  Anyway, “Maleficent” is a semi-retelling of the story from Maleficent’s perspective, fleshing out her motives and backstory.  And, if you didn’t already know, it’s a live-action version, with Angelina Jolie as Maleficent and Elle Fanning as Aurora.  Allegedly, many of the actors won their roles due to their strong resemblance to the characters in Disney’s animated version.  In this case, they still got a group of quality actors, from Jolie and Fanning to Sharlto Copley as King Stefan and Sam Riley as the crow Diaval.  Even the mostly-animated pixies tasked with keeping young Aurora safe are portrayed by Imelda Staunton, Lesley Manville, and Juno Temple.

            All the actors look fine, which is good since they were cast for that very reason, but none of them have anything to do.  You can extrapolate that statement out to the entire film, really.  With the exception of a few sequences, the thing looks good, but it feels like nothing happens.  There’s an awkwardly long beginning sequence in which Maleficent grows up and the reason for her hatred becomes known.  Then the second act is basically just Maleficent watching Aurora frolic around, then Aurora touches the spinning wheel, falls asleep, and is awoken by true love’s kiss.  And then it just ends.  There’s never a build to anything interesting, no tension, no character struggles, no nothing.  The whole thing felt like a prelude to some other, more interesting story.

             I think the film’s downfall ultimately stems from its struggle to tell an interesting, slightly dark story while trying to make it palpable for young children.  This film has a PG rating, and the edits to get it to that rating are noticeable, particularly in the battle sequences.  They play out with such quick cuts and tight shots that it’s impossible to tell what’s going on.  I don’t know if they intentionally shot things that way or if it was cut in the MPAA review process, but it really takes the oomph out of the film.  It makes me wonder why those sequences where put there in the first place.  You know you can’t show that stuff in a kid’s movie, and there are other, far better ways to get across menace.  There are moments when it’s done very well in this film, such as the sequence where Maleficent loses her wings or when she casts the curse.  Those moments are chilling, for adults and kids alike, and you know that you can make them age appropriate. 

            This film is Robert Stromberg’s directorial debut, after winning back-to-back art direction Oscars for “Avatar” and “Alice in Wonderland.”  He’s done numerous other impressive effects work, including “Master and Commander:  The Far Side of the World” and television’s “John Adams” and “Boardwalk Empire.”  He clearly understand the visuals well, but his grasp on story falters at almost every turn.  He had seasoned editors behind him, and apparently writer/director John Lee Hancock was brought in during reshoots of the opening scenes.  None of this was able to save the expensive, troubled little movie that “Maleficent” ended up being.

            Other Notes:
Ø  I liked the music.  It got the fairytale vibe right.
Ø  A few of the CGI sequences looked really bad.  People looked like they were made of plastic and such, but then again, I’ve never been impressed by CGI’s capabilities when it comes to making a realistic human being.
Ø  That trio of fairies was like an annoying version of The Three Stooges.
Ø  When Maleficent made her big entrance at Aurora’s christening, I really wanted someone to step on her train.  It was asking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment